Tonight I was craving something savory and warm, even though it’s Spring in the NorthEast it was cold and rainy today 🙁 So I took inventory of my fridge and came up with this delicious dinner!
Whenever I’m exhausted and starving I always default to roasting or sautéing some veggies and piling them on top of some grains. The frozen rice at Trader Joe’s makes life super easy, especially on week nights when you’re too hungry to wait for delivery but too lazy to cook.
I’ve been on a huge mushroom kick lately and this recipe is super simple and really delicious. You just sauté some mushrooms with a ton of fresh garlic, add some wilted spinach, pile it all on top of a mound of quinoa and you have a super satisfying dinner for those chilly nights.
- ½ cup Quinoa, rinsed
- ½ cup Vegetable Broth
- ½ cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley, chopped
- Splash of Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1-2 Large Shallots (about ½ cup), chopped
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 8 oz Mixed Wild Mushrooms (around 2 cups), chopped
- 2 Tablespoons of Avocado Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1Tablespoon Garlic (about 3 cloves), minced
- ¼ cup Parsley, chopped
- 2 cups Spinach, roughly chopped
- Crushed Red Pepper (optional)
- Add quinoa, broth, and water to a pot and bring to a boil, cover and reduce to simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed
- Remove from heat and add a splash of olive oil, parsley, salt, and pepper and put the lid back on to keep warm
- Heat ¼ cup of olive oil in a heavy bottom dish, like a dutch oven, over medium heart
- Add your chopped shallots and sweat them until translucent, about 5 minutes
- Add mushrooms, avocado oil, and salt to onions and cook until the mushrooms soften and begin to release their juices, about 10 minutes
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute
- Turn the heat off and toss in the parsley and spinach, mix until combined and cover to allow the spinach to wilt
- Begin plating the quinoa in a shallow dish and spoon the mushroom mixture on top
- Season with crushed red pepper and enjoy!